Maine Audubon’s top-notch facilities at our Audubon Centers in Greater Portland and Greater Bangor are excellent options for hosting your next wedding, meeting, or other special event.
Maine Audubon’s Gilsland Farm, just minutes from Portland, Maine, is a beautiful, peaceful wildlife sanctuary that is the perfect backdrop for your wedding, birthday, meeting, or other special occasion. Maine Audubon is centrally located to southern Maine beaches, and 1-3 hour drive to premier midcoast and downeast destinations such as scenic Boothbay Harbor and majestic Acadia National Park. Maine Audubon would be honored to host your next special occasion, event, or wedding. Selecting Maine Audubon as your event venue directly supports Maine Audubon’s mission to conserve wildlife and wildlife habitat.
Gilsland Farm Center facilities available for public rental include:
The L.L.Bean Great Room in the Visitor Center
- This 30 x 50 foot room can accommodate a maximum of 120 people seated.
- The room can be divided into three separate rooms, each of which can seat up to 35 people.
- 110 chairs, 6-foot tables, and 8-foot tables for indoor use only.
- Full access to a non-commercial kitchen with stove, microwave, and refrigerator.
- Two public restrooms are available in the Visitor Center.
Orchard or Property Rental
Our quaint apple orchard and open field are located behind the Visitor Center. This is the most popular space for weddings and receptions. Your property rental secures this beautiful space for you to then you select your own third party vendor rentals for caterer, tent, musicians, etc.
The apple orchard can accommodate:
- Space for up to a 40 x 80 foot tent
- Accommodates up to 150 people
- Two public restrooms available in the Visitor Center
Other spaces available throughout our sanctuary on a limited basis and by special request.
- Normal business hours are Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm, Saturday 10 am – 5 pm, and
Sunday noon – 5 pm.
- The grounds are open to the public from dawn to dusk every day, including during
rentals. The buildings, other than the event space, remain open to the public during
regular business hours.
- A Maine Audubon staff member will be your host on the premises during the event to
- All third party vendors (caterers, musicians, bartenders, tent, etc.) must be pre-approved
by Maine Audubon, and require licensing with the state of Maine.
- Alcohol may only be served on-site after 4 pm weekdays and after noon on weekends.
- Alcohol can only be served by a licensed State of Maine bartender or catering company,
and they must provide proof of their liquor license.
- All music must end no later than 11 pm.
- Grounds and rooms rented are expected to be left in same condition as originally found.
- Cleaning fees will be assessed if grounds and rooms are not found in acceptable
- All trash, food, and beverages must be removed by end of rental period.
- All rented items (tableware, tent, tables, etc) must be stored in designated areas of the
property and arrangements must be made with rental company to pick up no later than
- All rentals include use of the Visitor Center restrooms.
- A 50 % deposit is required to secure the date of choice of your event.
- The following rules apply to all Maine Audubon sanctuaries:
- No smoking
- Balloons and glitter are not allowed
- No open fires
- Dogs not allowed unless a trained service animal
- Do not disturb wildlife
- Do not pick or remove any plants
- Stay on designated trails
- Do not cut or climb trees
For weekend wedding packages, please contact Stanley Sampson for a quote.
Corporate and small business rentals starting at $250 and up
Birthday parties, memorial services, and other special event rates from $200 and up
Non profit rentals from $100 and up
Reach out to us for more information and a personalized quote.
Maine Audubon hosts numerous other organizations and businesses including corporate meetings, birthdays, parties, and other special events. We recognize that our pricing doesn’t fit every situation. Please email management to discuss other possibilities. In addition, we love to work with our community, corporate, and non-profit partners! Maine Audubon reserves the right to adjust rates based on dates and availability.
Weekdays: 9 am – 5 pm; Saturday: 10 am – 5 pm; Sunday: 12 pm – 5 pm
After business hours:
5:15 pm – 11 pm daily
Center facilities available for public rental include:
- The entire building, including two accessible restrooms.
- The Nature Store adjoining the rental space is open during business hours and during evening events.
- A small kitchen with stove, microwave and refrigerator.
- 80 folding chairs (inside use only).
- Two 6-foot tables (inside use only).
- Six 8-foot tables (inside use only).
- Maximum capacity for the building is 80 people for a stand-up event; 60 for a lecture; 50 for events that use tables, e.g. dinners or work meetings.
- No audio visual equipment is available; renters must make arrangements to bring their own.
- A telephone is available for emergency use for local outgoing calls.
If notified well ahead of time, Maine Audubon staff will set up chairs and tables as needed for meetings. For social functions, renters/caterers are responsible for set up and break down. Maine Audubon will try to accommodate renters with space for storage of rental equipment and extra time for set up, but this must be arranged ahead of time so as not to interfere with other programs and renters.
A Maine Audubon staff member or volunteer is available during events for questions.
Rates & Fees
- Prices available upon request, please email us for more details.