Maine Audubon is closely monitoring news, Maine CDC, and federal CDC guidance regarding COVID-19, particularly recommendations related to K-12 schools and childcare centers. Based on this information and guidance, our buildings and facilities at our visitor centers are open to the public on specific days and at certain times.
Our top priority is public safety and we feel a strong responsibility to our members, supporters, and fellow Mainers. We ask that you follow these guidelines if you are interested in walking our trails and visiting our sanctuaries and centers:
- Mask policy: Masks are optional at our indoor programs and facilities at Fields Pond (Penobscot County) and at Gilsland Farm (Cumberland County). We are following guidelines established by the federal and state Centers for Disease Control. Safety protocols can change by event and audiences which may have differing risk factors; if a program/audience warrants requiring masks, notices will be sent in advance, signage around the building will clearly indicate the mask-required policy, and masks will be available on site. NOTE: Masks are required indoors on days when day camps are running. We ask that you respect the varying needs of our audiences. Our visitors’ safety is our top priority. This policy will be updated as necessary.
- Maine Audubon will require face coverings in our indoor public settings if the locations are in counties listed as having substantial or high levels on the Maine Covid-19 page here (Gilsland Farm & Scarborough Marsh: Cumberland County; Fields Pond: Penobscot County; Borestone: Piscataquis County).
- If you’re sick, stay home: It puts others at risk when you leave home while exhibiting symptoms related to COVID-19, or if you have recently been exposed to the virus.
Maine Audubon Online Programs
Most of Maine Audubon’s online programs use the video meeting platform Zoom, which means attendees may participate from their own homes (or anywhere with a reliable, fast Internet connection).
On the day of the event, attendees will be emailed a link that they may click to enter. You are not required to create a Zoom account to participate, and you are not required to download the Zoom application, though the quality of the broadcast will be much better if you do. You can join from your browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) but we recommend that you download the application for free at zoom.us and try it before the event starts.
For viewing only: You may be asked to allow use of your computer video and audio; it is not necessary to share access to view this presentation.
For interactive events/webinars: You will need a reliable, fast internet connection, speakers & a microphone, and a webcam (an internal camera built in to your computer, laptop, iPad, or mobile device; or a camera plugged in to your device).
If you would like to quickly and easily test your internet connection and your computer’s compatibility with Zoom, click here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115002262083-How-Do-I-Test-Prior-to-Joining-a-Meeting-
Full details on supported Operating Systems, internet browsers, and more can be found here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux
Maine Audubon Standard Cancellation Policy
- Programs under $10 will be not be refunded.
- Programs $10 – 100 will be refunded minus a $5 processing fee.
- Programs over $100 and up to $400 will be refunded minus a $20 processing fee.
- Programs over $400 are rare and processing fees will be decided on a case by case basis.
- Vacation Camps and Summer Camps have a separate refund policy.
Program proceeds benefit the work of Maine Audubon.
If you or anyone in your household has signs, symptoms, or a positive test/diagnosis of a contagious illness such as COVID or flu, or if you have been in close contact with someone who is sick, please stay home. If you are unable to attend a program in order to prevent the spread of illness, Maine Audubon can issue a full refund of your fees.
Maine Audubon Commercial Use and Photographer Policy
Commercial entities are asked to notify Maine Audubon at least 5 days prior to visiting to receive written permission to use our grounds. This helps ensure the site is available and that the expectations while on site are clear.
For commercial entities using our property, we ask that you purchase a household membership for one-time use (a $50 donation) or a household plus membership (a $100 donation) for annual use. Photography or other operations must not interfere with the ability of staff and visitors to enjoy their experience, or visit our sanctuaries and centers safely. No exclusive use will be granted. All signs, established protocols, and restricted areas must be observed. Drones are not allowed. This is for the safety of visitors and wildlife at the sanctuaries.
Please read our complete Commercial Use and Photographer Policy guidelines here.
- A commercial entity is a corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, limited liability company, association, organization, joint venture, or other legal entity, whether or not for profit, that transacts business. This includes, but is not limited to, photographers, artists, and wedding planners
- Any agent, employee, servant, independent contractor of, or owner of a photography or videography business, freelance, or photographer, who uses Maine Audubon grounds or facilities for portrait settings of individuals, groups, commercials, training films, movies, documentaries, or advertisements is considered a commercial photographer.
Emergency Weather Conditions
Occasionally, severe weather or other circumstances will alter our usual program schedule. If Maine Audubon’s buildings are closed unexpectedly, all programs are cancelled during the closed period. Please note that we may close for only a portion of the day. If our buildings are open, unusually severe weather conditions can still force the cancellation of a program for that day.
If Maine Audubon is closed due to weather or other unanticipated circumstances, a message will posted on our website and social media channels.