Maine Audubon Nature Explorer Backpacks are designed to encourage children and families to explore the outdoors together while learning about wildlife and habitat. Each backpack includes authentic scientific tools and resources, along with a custom-made user’s guide that walks the borrower through each item in the backpack and provides activities, games, book lists, and more. You’ll find tips for spending time outdoors with children, seasonal exploration prompts, nature journal templates, and even ways to use your smartphone to connect with wildlife.
We currently offer:
- Library packs for public library patrons to borrow and use in their communities (see a list of participating libraries below)
- Gilsland Farm packs for sanctuary visitors to check out for a small fee to use on-site
- A set of student packs at Fields Pond to help educators facilitate field work and nature-based STEM learning with their classes
For more information, or to purchase Nature Explorer Backpacks for your library, please contact Molly Woodring at email@example.com.
- Brewer Public Library
- Bangor Public Library
- Chase Emerson Library
- Dyer LibraryHarrison Village Library
- Lewiston Public Library
- McArthur Public Library
- Millinocket Memorial Library
- Orono Public Library
- Prince Memorial Library
- Scarborough Public Library
- Skidompha Public Library
- Skowhegan Free Public Library
- Springvale Public Library
- Thomaston Public Library
- Walker Memorial Library
- Zadoc Long Free Library
Nature Explorer Backpacks are made possible by the Stephen & Tabitha King, and the Leonard C. & Mildred F. Ferguson Foundations.