Position Title: Borestone Nature Center Operations Worker
Location: Borestone Mountain, ME
Immediate Supervisor: Borestone Property Manager
Maine Audubon is a widely respected conservation organization with headquarters located in Falmouth, Maine, with state-wide influence. Our mission is to conserve Maine’s wildlife and habitat through conservation, education, and citizen action. We are seeking seasonal Nature Center Operations Workers at Borestone Mountain Audubon Sanctuary in Elliotsville, Maine.
The Borestone Nature Center Operations Worker is responsible for staffing the Nature Center Building and Store, and for greeting and collecting trail fees from hikers who pass the trail in front of the store. The Nature Center Operations Worker works under the direction of the Borestone Property Manager. Responsibilities include providing information and background about Borestone Sanctuary, operating a small retail store within the Nature Center, welcoming trail users and collecting user fees.
Essential and Specific Functions
- Greet trail users, hikers, and visitors, providing information and direction as appropriate
- Collect trail use fees from trail users
- Operate small store in Nature Center (selling tee shirts, hats, memorabilia, water, Maine Audubon memberships, etc.)
- Perform recordkeeping for store sales, trail user fees, and other transactions
- Report merchandise needs to Borestone Property Manager or his designee
- Familiarize oneself with educational exhibits in Nature Center in order to be able to provide information and answer questions from visitors
- Perform minor housekeeping inside and outside Nature Center to keep the area clean and visually appealing
- Load and unload supplies for Nature Center retail store
- Drive Maine Audubon 4WD vehicle up and down the mountain road to and from the Nature Center building
- Coordinate work week schedule with another Operations Worker in order to provide 7 day coverage per week at the Nature Center, with input and direction from the Borestone Property Manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Prior experience working in positions with significant public interaction
- Exceptional customer service skills and a friendly outgoing manner
- Experience in retail sales
- Administrative and recordkeeping abilities
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Physical abilities required: ability to stand, sit, bend at waist, lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
Timing, Pay, and Benefits
- Position runs Sundays and Mondays, approximately 14 hours per week, approx. May 15 – October 15
- Pay rate is $11 per hour
- Temporary position – not eligible for benefits
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Borestone Nature Center Operations Worker” in the subject title. Position open until filled. EOE.