The Nature Center Assistant’s primary responsibilities will be running the Nature Store, including merchandising, cash out and inventory. On an ‘as needed’ basis, the person will lead canoe and walking tour nature programs for the general public. This position requires managing volunteers.
Qualifications and Essential Duties:
- Retail experience, including cash out, inventory and merchandising
- Able to multitask
- Canoeing experience – able to lift and paddle canoes
- Able to manage and recruit adult and teenage volunteers
- Knowledge of basic natural history and ecological concepts
- CPR and First Aid certification
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Experience working with children
- Friendly, high energy and good sense of humor
- Ability to work outdoors in challenging environmental conditions
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift 75 pound canoe with another person, carry that canoe 30 feet, and physical movement necessary for putting the canoe up on a rack
- Ability to canoe against the wind and current
- Ability to physically operate canoes, computer and other program equipment
The seasonal position runs from late-May until the end of September. From late-May through Labor Day, the part-time work week consists of variable hours three days a week, including at least one weekend day and some evenings. After Labor Day, the assistant store manager works weekends only. Holiday work is required.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and two references to [email protected] Include job ID# SMAC-NCA15 in the subject line of your email. We will begin reviewing applications immediately, and will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.