Position Location: Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, Falmouth
Seasonal camp educators will develop and teach natural history activities to summer day campers at Gilsland Farm Audubon Center’s 62-acre sanctuary in Falmouth. Staff will supervise and ensure a safe, cooperative and fun experience for campers during all camp activities, and help train, supervise and mentor high school volunteers. A low staff-to-camper ratio and the enthusiasm of staff are keys to the success of these programs.
Qualifications and Essential Duties:
- Have or be working towards a college degree in biology, education, or environmental studies;
- Have experience, preferably at a camp, developing and presenting nature ecology programs, including nature games and activities;
- Knowledge of Maine’s flora, fauna and ecological concepts;
- Be familiar with experiential and adventure education philosophies;
- Be able to communicate with, and be sensitive to, the needs of children ages 6-11;
- Have current adult/pediatric First Aid and CPR certification prior to the start of training:
- Be enthusiastic and flexible with a sense of humor; and
- Preferably have theatrical, musical, and/or artistic talents or interests;
- Successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Canoeing experience and salt marsh ecology knowledge is a plus.
- Be able to often lift objects up to 50 pounds;
- Be able to frequently hike all trails on Gilsland Farm property;
- Be able to use hands/fingers to operate computer and other program equipment;
- Be able to work outdoors in all environmental and weather conditions.
Season is from June 13-August 31, 2015. In this time frame includes training, camp and break down of camp. Day camp runs Monday – Friday from 9 am-3 pm; educators work from 8 am-4 pm.
Salary range dependent on experience and qualifications.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Camp Educator Search at email@example.com. We will begin reviewing applications after March 19th, and will accept applications until the position is filled.
About Maine Audubon
Maine Audubon is a nonprofit conservation organization based in Falmouth, Maine, whose mission is to conserve wildlife and wildlife habitat by engaging people in conservation, education, and action.
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.