Events & Programs
Browsing event topic: day camp
- Emerging Youth Ecology Squad (E.Y.E.S.)
- Child Members: $225, Child Non-members: $275
- Grades K-5
Watching nature like a hawk! Campers in grades K-5 already familiar with the wonders of Gilsland Farm will enjoy this 7-week Saturday series that explores our favorite themes and activities more deeply. Participants will further develop their ecology skills through outdoor investigation, nature journaling, making comparisons and recording data. Of course, all of this serious science will be approached in the usual fun, active and supportive environment campers are used to here. You can even look forward to the same wonderful camp staff! Look at the world around you through the eyes of an ecologist and you will be amazed at what you will learn!
Sample topics and themes include:
- Where are they now? – taking a closer look at signs of animals through their tracks, scat and more
- Backyard birds and plants – signs of the seasons are often told through the actions of birds and plants; what are we seeing and what does that mean?
- Big Night -- Vernal pools and nocturnal creatures have important roles in the ecosystem, come learn about the journey salamanders and bats are a part of
- Habitat Connections – looking at the importance of habitat through maps to define helpful links for wildlife
This is a drop-off program just like our Summer and Vacation Camp programs and campers should arrive with a lunch and dressed for the outdoors. The program runs from 10am to 2pm on consecutive Saturdays.