Mark your calendars!
The 2014 Maine Audubon Birdathon is Saturday, May 17.
Register or pledge your support today!
What is the Maine Audubon Birdathon?
It’s a bird-watching event during spring migration in which participants try to identify as many bird species as possible in one day. The Birdathon is an annual fundraiser for Maine Audubon that supports our mission to conserve Maine’s wildlife and wildlife habitat. Whether you are a beginning or serious birder, you can join the fun!
How can I participate?
There are three ways to participate:
1. REGISTER your own team»
2. PLEDGE to support a team»
3. SUBMIT a one time donation to support a team »
Please get in touch with Doug Hitchcox, Maine Audubon staff naturalist, at (207) 781-2330 x237. You can join Doug every Thursday and Saturday morning for a bird walk at Gilsland Farm Audubon Center in Falmouth – start honing your skills for the big day!
- Form a team or contact Maine Audubon staff naturalist, Doug Hitchcox, to ask about teams you can join.
- Gather pledges from friends, families, neighbors and co-workers.
- Count birds only if they are alive, outdoors and unrestrained.
- You can count birds at feeders and attract birds by using recorded bird songs.
- Identify birds conclusively by sight or sound. If in doubt about a bird’s identity, don’t count it.
- Be mindful of breeding birds and their habitats. In any conflict of interest between birds and birders, the welfare of the birds and their environment must come first.
- Pack binoculars, sunscreen, bug spray, comfortable shoes, water, layers of clothing, field guides and maps.
- Plan to take frequent breaks and bring plenty of snacks.
- Come up with a fabulous and fun name for your team.
- Decide what your route and time frame will be for your birding expedition. How much time do you want to spend out in the field? Where do you want to go? What time of day is optimal to see the birds you want to see?
- Pat yourself on the back. You’re raising money for a great cause – the conservation of Maine wildlife and habitat!
How do I gather pledges?
- Start by setting a goal. Then pledge yourself and write that information at the top of your sponsor form.
- Remember that flat rate pledges can be collected at the time of the pledge. This makes your follow up easier!
- Let people know why you are participating in the Birdathon and why you are supporting Maine Audubon.
- Take your pledge form wherever you go. Bring it with you to work and keep it on your desk by your phone. Take it with you to to the local cafe, sports events, gym, and on early morning bird walks!
- Ask family, friends, relatives, work associates, neighbors, etc. to support your participation in Birdathon. Send an email to five friends and ask them to send out an email to five friends and so on.
- Make sure you thank your sponsors and keep your sponsor form. It’ll make your pledge collection easier next year!
Ongoing activities at all locations ...