Maine Audubon seeks a 3/4 time Accounting Associate. This position reports to the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer and is located at the organization’s headquarters in Falmouth, Maine at Gilsland Farm Audubon Center.
Purpose of the position:
Under the direction of the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer, this position is responsible for accounts payable, preparation of bank deposits, payroll processing, and revenue coding and data entry.
Daily duties include
- Process accounts payable including receipt of invoices, managing requests for payment, coding and data entry.
- Monitor cash flow and prepare checks for signature weekly. Produce reports as needed including 1099s at year end.
- Data entry and verification of coding for cash receipts. Coordination and review of cash receipts entries for gifts and donations prepared through Raiser’s Edge by Development department personnel.
- Maintaining accounts payable.
- Prepare and make bank deposits.
- Coordinate production of employee appointment letters for signature.
- Coordinate production of biweekly payroll checks, including processing from assembly of timesheets through providing information to payroll service.
- Track benefits enrollments
- Process criminal background checks and Ensure enrollment paperwork (I-9, W-4, etc) and criminal background checks are complete and processed
- Prepare bank reconciliations and monthly sales tax report.
- Assist with other reconciliations, routine data entry, and other accounting functions. Prepare adjusting journal entries for review.
- Assemble all data for monthly preparation of financial statements.
- Assist with special projects as requested.
Timeliness and accuracy of reports; attention to detail; meeting deadlines; willingness to update systems and increase office efficiency; discretion when dealing with confidential information; effectiveness when dealing with fellow employees.
Internal: Other staff at both Falmouth and offsite locations
External: Primary daily contact with vendors
Equipment: (e.g., computer, calculator, copy machines, telephone, etc.)
- Must be able to use a calculator.
- PC proficiency and familiarity with Microsoft Word & Excel are essential.
- Prior use of Raiser’s Edge & Financial Edge a plus
Qualifications: (e.g., education, training, experience, licenses and skills)
- Accounting degree or equivalent experience required.
- Requires 3 years of payroll and benefit processing experience.
- Prior experience in Fund Accounting preferable.
Must be detail oriented, accurate, dependable, and organized. Requires own transportation to go to the bank. Ability to work in a fast paced environment, to be flexible, and be able to set priorities. Able to develop positive working relationships with other Maine Audubon staff. Must demonstrate complete discretion when dealing with confidential information.
Physical Requirements: (e.g., lifting, reaching, climb, push/pull, etc.)
Must be able to lift moderate amounts of mail
Regularly operates computer equipment for data entry
Regularly communicates with vendors and staff via phone
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with ‘Accounting Assoc. Search” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin on July 31, 2014
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.