Maine Audubon is a widely respected conservation organization headquartered in Falmouth, Maine with state-wide presence and influence. Our focus on science based research, practical solutions to complex problems, and a profound respect for wildlife and wildlife habitat positions us at the nexus of Maine’s environmental community. As part of the Advancement and Communications team, the Membership and Chapter Relations Coordinator is responsible for membership recruitment, retention, and stewardship. This position also builds and solidifies Maine Audubon’s vital relationship with its chapter organizations through outreach, efficient communications, and central office services.
Essential and Specific Functions
Recruit, retain, and steward Maine Audubon members.
- Set goals and implement strategies to maintain and increase membership giving.
- Manage the integrity, maintenance, upkeep, and accuracy of membership data in The Raiser’s Edge, including import/export, data entry, report generation, mail merge, and spreadsheet functions.
- Prepare membership budgets and monitor revenue and expenses.
- Manage new member recruitment activities, membership retention strategies, and activities for stewarding members.
- Develop marketing materials and promotional literature to support membership goals and strategies.
- Collaborate with registration and online communications staff to maximize membership incentives and support growth strategies.
- Support and collaborate with nature store, program staff, and remote sites in member recruitment activities.
- Oversee magazine subscription and incoming national member information with National Audubon.
- Support and collaborate with nature store, program staff, and remote sites in recruitment activities.
- Identify key outreach opportunities to both support membership goals, but also to assist in enhancing the public profile, image and reputation of the organization.
Maintain, manage, and enhance Maine Audubon’s relationship with its chapters.
- Recommend and set strategic priorities and next steps in the on-going development and maintenance of chapter relations.
- Oversee membership information for chapter leaders. Work with chapters to improve member recruitment/retention.
- Provide membership support to chapters including: monthly chapter reports, quarterly dues share. Work collaboratively with chapter leaders to promote membership.
- Plan and oversee periodic meetings, throughout the state, with Maine Audubon board representative, senior staff, and chapter leaders.
- Facilitate regular information exchanges, e.g. email updates, newsletter distribution, conference calls, etc… between Maine Audubon and chapter representatives.
- Provide, where possible, support functions for chapter initiatives and programs.
- Field and direct inquiries, questions, and issues from chapters to the appropriate staff for resolution.
Perform other duties as assigned.
As part of the Advancement team, the Membership and Chapter Relations Coordinator will actively participate in strategy development, support Maine Audubon’s commitment to growing our constituent base, and share our goal of increasing public awareness of our mission. As the sole membership resource for the organization this position will work collaboratively across the entire organization to flexibly respond to needs and requests.
- Bachelor’s degree plus relevant professional experience in non-profit membership and advancement roles.
- A history of operating in a dynamic and fluid professional environment.
- Experience dealing with natural resources issues in a non-profit organization.
- Marketing and sales instincts.
- Strong interpersonal and communication abilities.
- Developed research, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to think and plan strategically.
- Willingness to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Ability to manage and document details in order to maintain complete and accurate electronic and paper files.
- Advanced understanding of Microsoft Office programs including, but not limited to, MS Word mail merges and MS Excel spreadsheet manipulation.
- Experience with The Raiser’s Edge.
Ability to work evenings, weekends, and travel.
To apply please email your cover letter and resume as one document in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Membership/Chapter Coordinator Search”.
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.