Maine Audubon is a widely respected wildlife conservation organization located in Falmouth, Maine with state-wide influence. Maine Audubon raises most of its $2.5 million annual budget from charitable sources, and the director of advancement and communications has primary responsibility for raising those funds and overseeing a suite of activities that play a decisive role in Maine Audubon’s mission success and ensure its long-term sustainability. Reporting to Maine Audubon’s executive director, the director of advancement and communication serves as the organization’s chief revenue and communications officer and is responsible for planning and budgeting and the smooth and effective execution of the following functions:
- Fund-Raising—Including membership, annual fund, and major gifts
- Communications—including earned and paid media, newsletter, digital and non-digital
- Marketing—including brand development and management, lead generation, and outreach to new constituencies
The director of advancement and communications manages staff engaged in each of the above functions and, together with the chief financial and administrative officer, the director of conservation, and director of education, is a member of Maine Audubon’s senior leadership team.
- Plans, budgets, and leads in fund-raising, communications, and marketing.
- Manages a professional staff of diverse skill sets.
- Serves as staff liaison to one or more board committees and works closely with committee chair(s).
- Prepares written and oral presentations to staff, board, external stakeholders and media.
- Provides media training for other staff.
- Articulates vision, mission, goals, and strategies to diverse audiences, including members, press, and donors.
- Identifies and reaches out to new constituencies, generating leads for membership and fund-raising campaigns.
- Safeguards and manages Maine Audubon’s reputation, brand, and logo(s).
- Evaluates effectiveness of funding, communications, and marketing campaigns and manages adaptively.
- Manages the work of consultants in fund-raising, communications, and marketing space.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Planning, budgeting, and management experience of five years or more in a complex and challenging environment, preferably in a senior advocacy, communications, marketing, or development position in either the non-profit or for-profit sector.
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills, including up-to-date knowledge of software used for presentations.
- Database management experience and the ability to use digital tools to plan and monitor the success of membership, fund-raising, and a variety of communications initiatives and campaigns.
- A passion for and experience with individual fund-raising in either a charitable or an analogous context, with a least four years’ experience in securing major gifts.
- Familiarity with the issues relevant to Maine Audubon’s mission and programs and a demonstrated interest in wildlife and the outdoor environment.
- The ability to engage and work with a diverse array of individuals, including volunteer leaders, with a preference for three or more years’ experience in managing volunteers in the fund-raising space.
- Bachelors’ degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Director of Advancement in the subject line.
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.